Professional development includes acquisition of the skills of effective scholarly communication and participation in the community of scholars in your department and discipline. In this spirit, you are expected to:
- Attend and actively participate in Departmental and Program seminars
- Actively participate in journal clubs and other informal gatherings
- Present the results of your research at Departmental, regional, national or international meetings at least once each year
- Join the appropriate scientific societies (students have substantially discounted rates that include subscriptions.)
- Stay current on the scientific developments within your field using primary research literature and reviews from important scientific journals, general as well as specific
- Participate in appropriate interactions with invited speakers and faculty candidates by attending seminars, graduate student meetings, and meals with guest faculty.